Bloody Feces

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueCamas, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Yesterday, I looked into the brooder and there was blood smeared here and there, I checked all 4 chicks over for wounds but came up with nothing. It has to be the in the poop then [​IMG]
    They have been on medicated starter since I got them and they are almost 7 weeks old and haven't been moved outside yet. What could it be? They are acting perfectly fine and aren't droopy or anything, they are eating and drinking normally. I can't tell if only one is pooping blood or they all are, but not every poop is bloody.
    What can I do [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Are you sure you dont have anyone acting puffed up or slower? Usually bloody poo= cocci, but if they arent acting sick then make sure you dont have someone bleeding like from the bottom of their feet from maybe a sharp piece of bedding. If it is in the poo I'd say treat them with Corid and quick. They can go downhill pretty quick from cocci.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm positive it's not their feet, I thought medicated feed was supposed to protect them!
    Can I get the meds at a feed store? This is just great [​IMG] I just lost a chick to botulism and now cocci!

4. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    What kind of medication should I get? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by