1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody Feeder, what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lajohnston, Apr 26, 2015.

1. lajohnston

lajohnston Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We had to leave town for 24 hours and upon our return found the chicken feeder covered in blood. It appears as though something was pecking or scratching to get more feed and in the process smeared, spattered blood all around it. I checked each of my birds, especially their beaks and feet/toes but could not find any signs of injury.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what has happened?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My guess is that one of them got it's comb bloodied by pecking or an injury, and it kept getting smeared on the feeder while the chicken ate.

3. Grain Gypsy

Grain Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Sedgwick County, Kansas
    Did you check their heads/head feathers? We have a Polish whose head was relentlessly picked for whatever reason when we transitioned the flock to the coop,, causing lots and lots of blood before we caught it and stopped it. I am thinking, they have to put their heads down to eat at this feeder, so I wonder if there is/are pecking wound(s) on someone's head?

I hope you find the reason soon. Good luck!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is scary. Does the blood continue all around the feeder? I think we need forensic help to solve this. Too bad you couldn't set up a game cam aimed toward the feeder to show what is going on.

5. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I honestly think that looks like red mold, not blood. It is applied too evenly to be blood. It is more reminiscent of how algae grows on surfaces of a fish tank.

6. stinks2bme

stinks2bme New Egg

Oct 20, 2015
    [​IMG]I reside in Wisconsin and recently have the same problem. My feeder is completely red with blood just like yours but only thicker. Scared the jaheebers out of me. I've checked them and cannot find any injury. I have noticed black spots on combs from pecking one another, but I can't imagine that much blood coming from just that. I am a first time chickeneer and truly love it. I will get a photo and will upload tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by