1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody foot -- early frost bite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimchick621, Feb 3, 2013.

1. kimchick621

kimchick621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    So, I went out to put warm water in the chicken waterers this afternoon and I noticed my light sussex had some red marks on her feet. Is this early frost bite? Should I bring her in for the night and get her feet warm? No one else is having any issues. Just her.

She's my bully, and I wondered if these were bully wounds, but...looking online and how red her toes are makes me wonder if I should bring her in the garage for the night and let her toes warm up. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Could be frostbite. If so, put neosporin on her feet. But I would also keep her in your garage for a night, just to make sure shes warm enough

3. kimchick621

kimchick621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Thanks, I put plain petroleum jelly on her feet, and brought her inside with her snuggly baby (who's really not a baby anymore at 16 weeks). It's snowing again, so I'll let her stay in the night and check on her in the morning. Hopefully those toes won't turn black. :(

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    could it be bumblefoot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by