Bloody Hen... Advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochicks, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    One of our three hens is bleeding where her right wing meets her body. She is about two years old. We got her and the other two from a ranch in Eastern Colorado about three months ago. She was already missing most of her feathers on her back from an overly aggressive rooster. We have a small coop in the backyard that we close up at night for their protection, but they have access to the entire backyard during the day... even when its snowy. Her feathers have been returning nicely, but when we closed them up for the night, we noticed several were missing, and there was some blood. We have her isolated in our garage in a dog crate right now. She has food, clean water, and fresh pine shavings to bed down in. Is there anything else I should/can do for her? How long until I will be able to return her to the rest of the flock? She is clearly uncomfortable, and I would like to help her however I can. Thank you for your help!!! This site is amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Can you tell if there is a wound under the feathers? I think feathers themselves can bleed, but I'm not sure. If there is a wound you could clean it with saline and then use some triple antibiotic (neosporin) on it (without the pain killer, some say). Maybe use blukote on it when she goes back with the others so they don't pick at it. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with suggestions.

3. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    It doesn't look like there are any wounds. It appears that the blood is coming from the feather nubs. (I'm not sure what they are called.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by