Bloody hen in winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by balloonflower, Dec 29, 2016.

1. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    So, I have a BO who has gone broody on me for a week. Tried just moving her from boxes, locking out of the run, and have now graduated to a small wire cage. Thing is, she has plucked all her breast feathers already. This weekend, our weather is great for the whole wire cage thing, but early next week we'll be at 20 hi and 0 lows for a few days. Should I worry about her getting too chilled without those feathers? I could move the cage to garage, but not sure how she will react to being alone with just my rabbits, plus I'll hopefully have my first set of kits and don't want to stress the first time mama either. Any suggestions?

2. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    Rats--darn auto correct. Sorry bout the thread title. Should read Broody Hen in winter

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The Broody will be okay in the wire crate in the coop....As long as the wire is up off the ground so her belly can cool she will break in a few days....If you do choose to move her to the garage, I am sure the Mother Rabbit wont be stressed as long as they are not beside each other.....I always keep my Broody in my garage while I break them...I do once a day let them back with the flock to eat, drink and run around till they hop back into a nest to brood...Then right back into the garage they go.......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by