Bloody hen. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyWho, Sep 29, 2013.

1. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Last night I forgot to lock the girls up for bedtime. It's pouring down rain in Portland, OR and we were out until rather late. I've never forgotten before and realized my mistake the moment I opened my eyes this morning.
    I rushed out to find the girls just poking around the yard as if nothing happened. I lured them all to me with treats to give them the once over and found a bloody hen. Almost a quarter of her body is riddled with bloody feathers. I have thumbed through her feathers 4 different times and am unable to find any injury. The other girls are all fine. There are no squirrel corpses or anything in the yard that she could have 'dust bathed' in.
    The pictures aren't the best but you can kind of see that the majority of the blood is at the end of the feathers.....?

So. Let's discuss my hypotheses. She has a tiny wound somewhere on her rear quarters and between preening and the monsoon we've had, it's rinsed blood through all her beautiful white feathers...thereby staining them? It simply looks way worse than it is.
    Or she rolled in a) tomatoes or b) something bloody or dead

Her vent are is super clean, and her beak appears to be blood free. She's in molt and was looking haggard before this started. She's a hot mess now.

Freaking out over here. Thoughts? Click the pictures to make 'em larger.

Her head is to the left. The blood is from the tips of her wing feathers to her bottom.
    [​IMG]

Behind.
    [​IMG]

Below is her vent area. The blood is seen on the upper left with her vent falling very near center on this photo
    [​IMG]

Such a soft pretty color of red. Poor girl :(
    [​IMG]

dat booty again so you can see where it pretty much stops.
    [​IMG]

She's molting which makes it hard to tell how much ugly is from an injury or molt?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have had a blood feather pulled, and bled all over. Just look her all over again tomorrow to make sure you didn't miss a wound. I'm glad they are all alright.

3. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I googled "blood feather."
    I'm pretty confident this is the case. I had no idea...

Thank you Eggcessive, for giving me the resources to sleep tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by