Bloody hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prov31mom23, Oct 13, 2013.

1. prov31mom23

prov31mom23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I noticed today that one of my hens is missing a few wing feathers. I wasn't concerned - 'tis molting season, after all. Then I realized that there was blood where the feathers had been. Right after that, another hen came over to her and becked at the bloody area. It isn't a huge area and isn't very bloody but I want to prevent problems. So I separated her so none of the other hens can get to her. She won't be able to free-range with them, but I'm concerned that they will eventually peck her to death if I don't keep them away from her.

What would cause the blood initially? Is there anything else I need to do besides separating her from the others?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Were you able to check her wing over for wounds or anything like that, if she snagged the wing or something bit her etc? Do you have a rooster that might have done it? She might have broken a feather close to the base, or knocked a pin feather if she is molting? If you clean it up and put on Blu-Kote or something similar, once the wound dries up it shouldn't attract the other girls and you can probably put her back out with them if you watch closely (and if you have a rooster it isn't in a spot he would hurt if he tries to jump her).

3. bbishop

bbishop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Green forest Arkansas
    The rooster may have done it because when they try to mate he will bite and pull them toward him to mate with them

4. prov31mom23

prov31mom23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    We isolated her for 3 or 4 days and she has been just fine since. Thank you for your suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by