Bloody injury to our hen’s neck, apparently attacked by other hens.

The Ricker

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Charleston
One of my hens has an open wound to the back of the neck. She appears to be okay she is eating and drinking water. She is separated in a crate with the food and water. I have petroleum jelly for that but what else should I do?

It would be good to put some disinfectant on it, such as chlorhexidene, betadine, or Vetericyn wound spray. Then plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment is very good twice a day until it heals. Keep her separated in a dog crate in the shade until it is healing. Was this done by a rooster trying to grab her on the back of rhe neck or hens? If you can post apicture, that would help.

It would be good to put some disinfectant on it, such as chlorhexidene, betadine, or Vetericyn wound spray. Then plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment is very good twice a day until it heals. Keep her separated in a dog crate in the shade until it is healing. Was this done by a rooster trying to grab her on the back of rhe neck or hens? If you can post apicture, that would help.
We are not sure if it was the rooster. He is mean but never did this before.

Spending some time with the flock may help to see what is going on. If she is not allowing him to mate, he might be attacking her. How old are they? They do grab hold of the neck sometimes when they mate. When you post, look for the icon that looks like amountain and sun an click on that and follow instructions. I have trouble myself with pics.

Back
Top Bottom