1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody-ish droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LocoPollo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I just noticed today there were some bloodyish droppings in the pen of 5 week old speckled sussex. Some recent droppings looked perfectly healthy, while there looks to be some diarrhea which has no blood. I don't know which birds dropped what, but I did begin sulmed treatment and started them on medicated food ( i know I should have had them on medicated food from the beginning, but was hoping to avoid it. bad mistake) At any rate, the chicks all look ok at the moment, but I was just wondering, with the medication started, should I expect some losses, or could they all come out all right?

2. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I guess I am just saying can this be treated without loosing any of the birds? Especially if caught early?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They'll probably be fine. I end up with a cocci outbreak when I brood larger numbers of chicks and right after they get out on soil, no matter how much I clean. Must just be active in my soil, I guess. I've never lost one to cocci, although I've had to re-treat them with an alternate drug or coccidiostat. You may want to be sure they get some plain, active culture yogurt every day if you have them on Sulmet. Antibiotics wreak havoc with their systems. Here is an interesting link for you:
    http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/dealing_with_coccidiosis.htm

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Thanks for the link, that was awesome, plus now I know to give them some fresh cows milk along with the rest of the things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by