Bloody leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brienna, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    Our barred rock hen has a leg injury. We don't know the cause, maybe some pecking? she is on the bottom of the pecking order. We soaked her foot in an epsom salt bath and applied some polysporin on the wound. Is there anything else we can do? any thoughts on the cause of this injury?

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could have been injured on something sharp, but rats can bite when on the roost at night. Iodine or gentian violet (BluKote) would be good to put on it to hide it from pecking as well as to help prevent infection.

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Great Photos. Looks like maybe an injury from pecking but not sure. What would help is to put some Blue Coat on it. It will cover the red and the other chickens won't be tempted to peck at it. Left as it is that would be my concern. Also keep treating with antibiotic cream until it heals. The injury looks like just a surface wound so that is a good thing. Is the hen acting normal, walking on the foot ok? If so, then aside from covering up the red and treating with anti's not much more you can do.

4. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    Thank you both for your replies. I will try to find some blu-kote tomorrow. Is this available in pet stores? we live in Quebec, Canada, and sometimes we have a hard time finding things without going through a vet.
    She is acting fine as usual and seems to be walking on it okay too. Her foot was shaking a lot when we held her, but I think it might be stress as she doesn't like to be held.
    We will continue treatment and hope it heals quickly, thank you for your advice :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Gentian violet is the active ingredient of BluKote, and gentian violet can be found in first aid aisles of pharmacies--it is a very old timey medicine which contains an antifungal as well as alcohol, and it stains everything dark blue which works to hide red wounds from pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by