bloody matter come out of vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pineapple416, Mar 19, 2015.

1. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Hard to describe...underweight hen with pale comb, face and wattle has bloody material coming out of her vent. I've never had this happen with my hens before. I've tried searching past threads and can't figure it out. I read about prolapse but this isn't hanging out. It's coming out in chunks. So worried about her. She's a bantam cochin about 2 yrs old.

2. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    She had mites about a month ago. I haven't seen any signs of them lately but I'll check now that I'm remembering that. Could that cause these symptoms? I'm searching this site and the internet and finding nothing. Any help would be sooo appreciated!

3. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Still need help!!! Not egg bound, no prolapse. I gave her a warm epsom salt bath. Not sure if I should try an antibiotic in her water?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It almost sounds as if she may have cancer in her reproductive tract. Certain diseases and worms can cause blood in the droppings, such as coccidiosis, enteritis, and capillaria worms, but chunks sounds more like cancer. A vet could check a good stool sample containing both cecal and regular droppings to see if it contains cocci, worms, or bacteria. A vitamin supplement containing iron such as Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell 1-3 ml daily by mouth may help her, but it sounds serious.

5. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Thank you! Good to know what it could be and what steps to take now.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could it be shed intestinal lining? Can you post a pic?

7. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I don't have a picture but it did look it could've been intestinal lining.

8. Angie16hearts

Angie16hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    California
    [​IMG]Help! This is the 3rd hen that has had a bloody vent the other two died within hours a few weeks back. As I have my own flock and have raised from babies and hatched nearly 89 chicksin last 9 months. I have never seen this! They are my boss's hens. She got them all already laying from a big tractor store. She has had many problems! Here is a picture. I can't tell if her vent has collapsed . I'm also afraid to touch her to much and bring it home to my flock. Please help !! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  9. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Definitely not the intestinal shedding, that looks serious, I would suggest trying to soak her butt so you can get a better look at the issue. Is she being pecked by her flock mates? If you cannot get a better look then I would consider a Vet.

10. Angie16hearts

Angie16hearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    California
    She's actually head hen. Yesterday she wasn't bad but not great still ate and had fluids. No blood yet. This morning no egg just blood. I had mentioned I have my own flock and have never come across this! It's crazy because two others did the same thing and died within 24 hours. Thanks for your help! I doubt the owners will take her in. [​IMG] however I will do what I can.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by