Bloody membrane

chook-mama

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
I’ve got this chick that I’m pretty sure is part of a pair of twins based on the two pip holes in this egg. It’s been struggling to hatch with beak out for hours, so I decided to assist by pulling little bits of shell away from the membrane. I’ve assisted hatches before with no problems, but this membrane looks like raw meat. It seems to me that the chick probably missed the air cell and pipped directly through the shell to outside. Chick is moving and peeping. I know I need to leave it alone at this point, but has anyone come across this and what are the chances of it making it to hatch? Should I assist more in a few hours or just let it be?

Attachments

• DE13B1C6-B4B3-46DF-98C9-55AE3C00AA55.jpeg
    DE13B1C6-B4B3-46DF-98C9-55AE3C00AA55.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 16
A bit more information. It’s almost like a second thick bloody membrane under the paper thin white one. The chick isn’t even positioned correctly to push its way out, so it’s going to need assistance if it has a chance, I believe. I’m currently taking it slow, peeling little bits of shell and leaving the membrane. I moisten the membrane with warm water and return it to the incubator. Anything else anyone can recommend or if anyone has any experience with this, I’d love to hear it. :)

Hi. I’m not sure if I’m understanding this right...in the pic attached I don’t see any blood or two pip holes. Could you send another pic?? Also how are they doing? I don’t really have experience for this exact issue but I’ll do my best to help.

The area around the beak looked really bloody to me. Turns out, it was just the bird under the membrane. The chick itself had some bleeding. I kept helping it along and finally got a baby last night around 11:00. It’s still doing well this morning. I didn’t get a picture of the second pip hole as they were on opposite sides of the egg. Turns out there was just one baby. I guess maybe one pip didn’t work, so it moved? Ended up popping through the shell without the air cell though. Sorry for the confusing picture and info. Everything came out fine. :)

glad it made it .. yeah its easy to have an anxiety attack when they get to pipping lol .. ive found they almost never need help though, some just take a long time from pip to 'extraction' lol ... up to 36 hours .. ive even had one hatch out the but end lol ...

glad it made it .. yeah its easy to have an anxiety attack when they get to pipping lol .. ive found they almost never need help though, some just take a long time from pip to 'extraction' lol ... up to 36 hours .. ive even had one hatch out the but end lol ...
I also had one in this hatch that came out the wrong end. It had made no progress after pipping for over 24 hours, so I just zipped that one to help. It also hatched around the same time last night and is doing well this morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom