bloody molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassiopia610, Sep 18, 2011.

1. cassiopia610

cassiopia610 New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    we brought a year old australorp hen into our coop with our other hens (20-24 wks old) two weeks ago. she quickly became the top dog, but seemed to get along fine with the other ladies. she was just finishing up molting when we got her. she had one bare-ish spot on her wing where the feathers were starting to grow back. she also was laying well the first week we had her. now it has been 9 days since she has laid an egg. she also has some little bloody spots on the bare area on her wing. i haven't seen the other hens peck her, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. does blood ever accompany molting? should i separate her? in the last week the weather has dramatically shifted, going from 97 last weekend to 68 and raining this weekend. so that might account for the lack of eggs. should i worry or just chill out?

thanks!

cassie

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Blood is not normal. It often means that either that chicken or another chicken has found out that blood tastes good and pulling off pin feathers and eating them is tasty. You can try seperating the one injured till the feathers come out, feeding more protein, feeding black oil sunflower seeds, coating in bluekote/antipick. That will prevent others from picking on her, help feathers grow back, and prevent her from picking on her own
    feathers.
    for more protein you can also make her a mic of scrambled eggs and buttermilk and feed it to her twice a day in addition to her feed.

God Bless,
    Laura

3. cassiopia610

cassiopia610 New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    thank you so much!

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:YVW [​IMG]

And May I say [​IMG] From Missouri and [​IMG]
    My name Is Laura...Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or post on forms...
    Glad to see you joined our family, I know you will love everyone here [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by