Bloody Muscovies

hikerchick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Dover, PA
I saw two of my muscovies on my neighbor's lawn this morning. They looked fine. A while later I was out in the pen and found the female under a chicken coop with blood on her feathers. I pulled her out but I couldn't find the source of the blood. I searched for the drake and found him hiding in the garage. He has a lot more blood on him but I can't get close enough to find out where it is coming from. I heard nothing. I hope they are going to be ok but I don't know what happened.

hugs.gif
Yes, please keep up posted
sad.png

We had bad neighbors that tried to come in our yard and beat our dogs because they "barked too much". I hope your neighbors arent the cause
hugs.gif

have you checked the wings? If a wing feather gets pulled out they can bleed quite a bit. you should do a more detailed check on them, I know about the claws on a Muscovy (I have the scars to prove it
smile.png
Is there somebody that can help you check them?

Steve in NC

Thanks Steve. I will try. The duck isnt' bad but the drake is big and doesn't want me near him. Neither of them is bleeding anymore; but they are hiding; they have their heads under their wings. It seems like they were traumatized. It could be my neighbor because I know he doesn't want them on his property and the last I saw them before the blood, they were standing on his lawn. I should have gone and shooed them home but it was 5 am and I figured they weren't bothering anyone. Come 7 am and they were both bloody. Next time I will shoo my ducks no matter what time it is.

Maybe this will keep them home?

You need to get int here and find out what happened to them. If they are shot or otherwise injured they can get infected.

Look under wings and feathers. It is easy to miss an injury on a duck. Rinse with lukewarm water. That will help part the feathers and down so you can get a better look. Pen them where you can tend to them easily.

And I don't mean to be mean, but it is your responsibility to keep them penned and not allow them to wander around. It will keep them safe.

Sounds like they have been shot, perhaps a pellet gun. Also possibly a predator. Either way, it could kill them. Please keep them home if they survive! Good luck.

Thanks. I find them harder to keep penned than my goats. Some animals just don't like life in prison and my Muscovies are like that. They would be miserable penned up. But, I will try harder to keep them in the pen.

Back
Top Bottom