Bloody muscovies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crickett, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    my muscovy babies are having problems. where their feasthers are supposed to be growing in on their backs, (behind the wings) they have been picked so badly that they are bald and bleeding. Separating them doesn't help as they are the ones doing the picking. What makes them do this? is there anything I can do to make them stop?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't know much about ducks, but with chickens I would think that they're too crowded. How many ducklings do you have and how much room do they have? If they're still under a brooder light it might help to use a red bulb so they don't "see" the blood, sometimes that works.

3. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    There are 12 of them. they are out in a run with the chickens. The run is 40' long and 15' wide. plus there is a 12'x12' coop in addition to the run that is connected. The coop is not part of the run. There is a small pool at the farthest end of the run, for watering and splashing purposes. They are not in the brooder any more, they are about 4 weeks old. The feathers every where except on their backs have come in fine. They seem to be eating/drinking/pooping ok. Could they maybe have a vitamin deficency going on? The chickens and older ducks are doing fine, no problems with pecking or anything. It's just these babies.

4. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I really don't know. I did find this forum though:

http://muscovyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=barnyard&action=display&thread=29&page=1

You might sign up over there if no one here is able to help you. I have one Muscovy, but got him at a year old and haven't had any physical problems with him, just mental--he has an identity crisis and won't have anything to do with the one Ruen hen I have, but wants to fight with the roosters and breed their hens whenever he gets the chance. Good luck and please post back if you figure it out, I'm curious now too. [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Are you sure they arent getting pecked by the chickens?

6. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Could be.... But why aren't the chickens pecking anyone else?

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Think segregation..

Seperating your ducks from the chickens is what I would suggest.

8. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    But the ducks are picking on each other too!

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I agree. Separate them for now and at the very least you'll be able to rule out that it's being caused by the chickens. What are you feeding them? The guy at the feed store told me to feed my Ruen layer ration, but to stay away from chick starter because something in it (I can't remember what) was bad for them. Keep us posted.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    The chickens probably caused the feather pecking, simply because they are ducks. But bare backs and blood are usually appetizing for most birds. Keep each duck seperate until they grow their feathers back, then you should be able to put all the ducks back together without any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by