Bloody navel on newly hatched chicks

whippet

Chirping
16 Years
Aug 24, 2007
Whidbey Island
we are hatching chicken eggs, they came sooner
than expected and we were not ready. They were still in the turner when the hatching started.
We took the turner out and put the chicks that had hatched in another incubator, they seem fine.
The batch that were still in the original incubator however are not. We had to help three of them from the egg as the humidity wasn't high enough to help. Now we noticed that one has a large bloody mass coming from it. We have another that
seems very lethargic compared to the first bunch.
Is there anything that we can do to help them survive? And also to insure that the ones that are still "cooking" won't have the same problems.
The temperature in the incubator was also fluctuating. We have good temperature and humidity right now. Should we be worried about the blood?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What you are seeing is the umbelical cord.(sp) Im sure they will be ok. Just leave them in the bator untill they are completely dry, and fluffy. This might take 24 hrs or so....but they will not need food or water untill at least they are that old. They can go 3 days without right after hatch. Good luck with the rest! And of course, we want pics!

Thanks for the advice....I agree we will just leave them alone...as hard as that is
roll.png

I'm not sure if its the umbilical cord it looks like a small bloody sac and she is starting to pant:( Does that sound normal? I admit, I feel like a very nervous mom in waiting...In puppies we never allow a puppy to stuggle in birth so this is very hard for me.
barnie.gif

We, too, are having babies hatch right now. Mine are panting in the bator, too. I think it is just the heat and humidity that causes them to get hot. Mine are doing fine, so I wouldn't worry, too much. A side note... IMO, the struggle for them to hatch makes them stronger in the long run. If you help, you are actually not giving that chick the chance to get the strength it needs. I just leave mine and don't help at all. But, this is just my opinion.
old.gif
Good luck with the rest of the babies! And I agree with Deb "don't worry" and post some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom