Bloody pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KooKooKluckerz, Feb 22, 2014.

1. KooKooKluckerz

KooKooKluckerz New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I don't know where this will post or even if I'm doing it right as I'm doing this on my phone but ... this started out as pasty butt and in less than a week her vent has become swollen and enlarged and a little bloody. Any advice?
    5 healthy 5 week old chicks and only 1 like this.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    The swelling and bleeding can be from constipation from the pasty butt. Did you clean it off or did it come off on it's own? Give a warm bath for the butt and rub softly under it to see if it helps any poop to come out.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Do you have any petroleum jelly or aloe vera? Something to sooth the inflammation?

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

How is the chick?

5. LPeaslee

LPeaslee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    I am having a similar situation, but without bleeding. I believe that my problem is "vent gleet". I talked to a lady at a local feed store,she told me to use bacitracin,for the secondary infection and feed yogurt for the yeast infection. After one day there appeared to be an improvement, but when I went to another store to for a few unrelated supplies, the lady there told me not to use bacitracin because it contains petroleum jelly and the petroleum jelly will dry out the skin.

6. KooKooKluckerz

KooKooKluckerz New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I used a warm, wet wash cloth to remove everything on Wednesday and vent was clear. By Friday it was covered again. I cleaned it off again and that was what I found 10 minutes later. We had to leave Friday night and are headed back today so I will let you know how she is upon my return.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Petroleum jelly does not dry out skin,many use it for dry skin. I use an eye ointment(containing bacitracin zinc) on my birds for eye infections/beak injuries,this is safe to use.

Are you sure your chick has vent gleet?

8. LPeaslee

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    No I'm not sure it's vent fleet, I'm a noon when it comes to chickens. The symptoms of vent gleet seemed to fit. What I do know is there appears to be an infection, the area around the vent is swollen and appears to be oozing clear puss, the inner edges of the vent are pale; looks like soaked skin.

9. LPeaslee

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    Gleet- stupid auto correct.
    Noon- noob

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old is chick and can you post a picture? Pus in birds is a thick,often hard/stringy like substance not like liquid pus in other animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by