1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody pecked bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tazcat70, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Hello,

This happened on Sunday. I have a bird that was pecked until he started to bleed. As soon as I saw it I pulled him out and he is now in isolation. I have put triple antibiotic ointment on him (is that ok?) and I want to know if I should increase anything in his diet to help him recover faster. He is doing fine, eating, drinking, and pooing all seem normal. His back has already started to heal. [​IMG]

I really need to get my chicken first aid kit together, as it is I just used my human one. [​IMG]

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The anitbiotic oinment is fine. I would add black oil sunflower seeds to his diet to aid in the feather growth. Not much more you can do. Good luck when you reintroduce him.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's gotta be the time of year!

The sun's coming up earlier and setting later (finally)

And they're itching to get out and rummage for things in the leaves we missed...

This just happened to Penny last Friday. Obelisk pecked her feathers off and was going for the meat on her back next.

I washed her off with soap and water, put some hydrogen peroxide, let that dry and then used WoundKote. I couldn't find my BetterBitters or I would've used that too.

Cat food is good for the extra protein..Mealworms too.

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    When that happens to my birds, I seperate them. I don't put any kind of ointment on them. I keep them seperated until they heal, then I move them back.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*that's why I started the first-aid kit thread, to find out what e/body favors, & those that haven't occured to me yet.

6. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Thank you all! I am getting them some mealworms tomorrow. They LOVE them and they are so fun to watch when they eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by