Bloody pecked chick! AnD NOW another w blood poo! I'm freaking out!

Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Indiana
I put my chicks that are about 3 weeks old in with ones that are a few weeks older. One of my husbands stupid barred rocks almost pecked off my little white chicks head. She is all bloody on the back of her head and it looks very painful. Is there anything I should put on it to disinfect it til I can get blue stuff from the feed store tomorrow? They have been together for 2 days. I broke the red bulb so they had a white one for a day. Up until right now they had both because I thought the younger ones might be cold. We were planning on building a new place for the older ones but it won't quit raining. We have separated them again til my husband can build the coop door in the morning. I have "Blanche" the injured chick in a dog crate for tonight. Oh my God! Help! I am freaking out. I thought the younger ones were huddling together because they were cold but apparently they were in fear for their lives. I feel like a bad mommy. It looks so painful! My mom said one of the BRs bit her finger really hard today too. Therre are 3 of them and they look exactly alike so I'm not sure which one it was. I thought 7 chicks could hold their own but I guess not. Will these BRs start fighting with the other chicks that are their same age now? Should I separate them? I am runnin out of space here.

Last edited:
I used betadine and vasaline. The betadine to disenfect and the vasaline because she won't peck herself, they hate the way it feels on their beak. Good luck!

There is no way she can reach it to peck herself its on her skull. I put a stuffed animal in to keep her company. I am gonna raid the medicine cabinet.

flush the wound with sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes) then put neosporin on. keep separated till completely healed. If you do not have neosporin or anything else you can apply honey. You will need to flush with the saline and reapply the neo daily

you are doing a good job by responding so quickly to the crisis so don't feel like a bad chicken mom!
i had one chick that the others were picking on in my last hatch, she too had an injury on the back of her neck/head. i did what the good folks here are telling you - i put neosporin (without painkiller) on it and put her in a separate brooder. i did pick out two smaller, gentle chicks from the group and i put those in with her so that she would not get lonely. the wound healed quickly and she was fine. once everyone got larger and i put them outside into the larger coop i reintroduced her and the other two chickens and after the typical chicken "pecking" order squabbles everyone did fine together.
so take a breath, she will probably be okay chicken mom!
hugs.gif

She is doing much better today. She still looks like she got scalped. I went to the feeedstore looking for tthe Bluekote and they had no idea what I was talkin about. When I said it had to be blue they were like "why?". I wish just one person who knew anything would get a job there. I explained it all and they still looked at me like I was making it up. Anyway she is a little lonely with that stuffed animal. Maybe I should put one of her chick buddies in there. The others are Americaunas so they are very gentle. We are on the way to Lowes so we can finish the coop door. I want to take those mean BRs to the swap meet but they're my husbands...boo. I'll keep you updated.

Now my Buff Brahma, Dwayne (named after the Rock) has blood poo! My Mom is on the way with medicine. I am freaking out! My poor babies! He acts perfectly fine except the poo so hopefully the medicine will fix him. He's one of my favorites!!

Back
Top Bottom