Bloody Piles. Stress or something else?

ContessaKris

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Grandview (SKC), MO
My chicks are about 18-19 weeks. This morning I discovered this.

Never had a problem before. My concern is Coccidiosis or if it could happen from stress. I sorta stressed them out last night. I had to freshen the coop and I did it too late and they were already in for the night. They ended up hiding in the corner. The one on the bottom of the hiding pile is the one who is having trouble today with bloody stool or urate.
If it's stress, fine. I won't be doing it again. If it's something else and that can kill them quick, I need to know so I can go get meds today. Any suggestions? Very water almost none existent poop coming out. Mostly bloody liquid.

I would get some Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of your feed store, and start treatment for coccidiosis. That is a lot of blood, and the Corid won't hurt them, but you may lose some if you delay treating them. My chickens have been stressed during periods of cleaning, building new roosts, or moving nest boxes around, and I have never seen bloody stools before. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1/5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Give some vitamins and probiotics for several days after completing Corid.

My chicks are about 18-19 weeks. This morning I discovered this.

Never had a problem before. My concern is Coccidiosis or if it could happen from stress. I sorta stressed them out last night. I had to freshen the coop and I did it too late and they were already in for the night. They ended up hiding in the corner. The one on the bottom of the hiding pile is the one who is having trouble today with bloody stool or urate.
If it's stress, fine. I won't be doing it again. If it's something else and that can kill them quick, I need to know so I can go get meds today. Any suggestions? Very water almost none existent poop coming out. Mostly bloody liquid.

Thats to much blood for intestinal shed, it might be Cocci or maybe internal bleeding from being smashed by the orhers cant be 100% though. I clean my coop and run at night sometimes when I get home late from work and never had that problem.

Last edited:
On the meds, do I separate the chicken from others and give her her own water and food? If I do that, how long? Think that might stress her more to be separated though. Do I administer the meds directly into mouth or into the water or what? New chicken farmer here, can you tell?! Lol

On the meds, do I separate the chicken from others and give her her own water and food? If I do that, how long? Think that might stress her more to be separated though. Do I administer the meds directly into mouth or into the water or what? New chicken farmer here, can you tell?! Lol

I would treat them all, the meds go in the water.

Yes, treat them all at once for 5-7 days so that you don't have to treat each one separately. Raise your feeders and waterers even with their backs so they are less likely to get droppings in there, since that is how it is spread.

At feed store, non available. He said to order Tylon online. They'll die by the time it gets here! Any other things I can use? Looking at Noromycin, Liquamycon, Biomycin, Duramycin, Noromectin, ivomec. Gotta find something!

Tylan will not treat coccidiosis--it is used in respiratory diseases. Call your feed store ask and ask if they have sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet, since both will treat the worst 2 strains of coccidiosis. Sulfadimethoxine is sometimes called Di-Methox. Corid, Sulmet, and sulfadimethoxine will be located in the cattle medicines. If you have any friends with cattle or chickens, it may help to ask them for those medicines since they are frequently used in cattle. I can give you dosage info for those if needed.

Last edited:
Noromycin, Liquimycin, and Biomycin are all brands of injectable oxytetracycline. Although in the literature for those drugs it doesn't list coccidiosis as an illness treated by oxytetracycline, but in one link in Merck Manual listed below, it says that oral oxytetracycline can be used in the feed to treat coccidiosis. I would try at some other feed or farm stores to locate Corid or another brand name--Ampromed, or amprollium. Many people will also use the sulfa drugs, Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet.

Table 2
Open table in new window
pop-out.jpg
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

Drugs for Treatment of Coccidiosis in Chickens a

Drug

Feed or Water

Use Level, Treatment Duration

Withdrawal Time (days)

Amprolium