Bloody poo w/mucus

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Hi,

I just got a hen over the weekend. I noticed she eats but not alot and her water intake is low. Also, she has what looks like bloody, mucusy poo.

I have her quarantined and am giving her some oatmeal and what else? Does it sound like cocci or worms? I have the Tetra-antibiotic to put in her water and Tylan. Will either of those work to help her?

Antibiotics and Tylan will help neither cooci nor worms (either of which could be the problem>you will need to take a fresh ample poo smaple in for a faecal to determine which it is as they need different meds)...
Capillaria (worms) will often cause intense intestinal damage will will give bloody mucusy poos...so will cocci .

Last edited:
I also have the same problem. I had 400 chicks and had them on medicated feed. I went to a different feed store due to price difference in feed and did not notice that the feed was not medicated. They were off this feed for about 5 days when the problems started. They are now back on medicated feed, but I have already lost 23 chickens. I have called local vets and feed stores for amprol and no one has it.

My question is: Does anyone know if the amprolium that is in the medicated feed will help with this or should I order amprol for the water from an online store- which can take 3-5 days to get and will probably be too late for most of the chickens infected?

If you have cocci. you can get the med from a feed store. Amoprolium is a brand. Just ask the sale person at the feeds store for med. for cocci. then follow the label for mixing. We usually get the one to mix in water and change out water daily.

If you are not sure that is is cocci. then get a fresh sample of feces and bring to vet to get tested.

Since I have no idea how long she's had this or how much damage is done, do you think she'd make it til Friday w/o meds? I found Sulmet at TSC that you put in water for $20.00. I can't get the meds til Friday. ANy suggestions on how to keep her comfortable until then?

the medication in the feed is not to treat a clinical infection but to keep it "at bay" ... once clinical infection has developed then you will need a therapeutic dosage of the amprol or sulmet in order to treat it. Cocci hits hard and fast and the only way to treat it is with meds.

I finally found some solumet at a local feed store this morning. It was $9.50. its 16 fluid ounces so it is fairly affordable. I also talked with a vet this morning. He told me that the medicated feed will help if the chicken will eat at all but his best recommendation was to put solumet or amprol into the water since a sick chicken will still drink even if they dont eat. He also said that depending on the severity of the coccidiosis the chicken will pull out of it just fine if treated promplty. He did state the amprol is the best to use, but quite expensive in our area because it is usually only sold around here in gallon jugs.

Anyway, we have only lost 2 chickens since this morning. just wanted to pass along what I found out.

My new 3 month old had same thing. I had her 3 weeks then she got sick. Vet diagnosed Cocci-She and all my kids are on Albon 2x's a day for 7 days. She was raised in a pen her entire life & I let her in the yard with my other kids so from what I have learned she got sick partially from never being on the ground. I hope your kids get better

DeeDee

My hen has been on Sulmet for the week, today is the last day. The poo looks much better though it still looks a bit mucusy and runny.

Her appetite still isn't that great. She will eat the bits of grass and such I give her but not much chicken food.

her attitude seems to have improved also.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom