1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I rescued a 7 month old hen the size of a small pigeon. We have kept her in the house and she has been eating very good, active and lovable. I do not let her around my other chickens. This morning while I was holding her she pooped and there was a lot of blood in the poo as well as blood clots. I havent had chickens very long so can someone please advise me what migth be wrong? We feed her chick starter, and a three grain scratch. She gets dried mealworms as an evening snack.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like coccidiosis. You will need to medicate her with Amprol or Sulmet or Corid. All are very good. If one doesn't work after the full dosing period, try the next. But get her on something asap..this can cause damage internally. If the chick starter is medicated, it is not strong enough to help her once she has a full blown case.

Jody

3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thank you so much

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Always keep two of these products on hand because there are several forms of cocci and one product may not always work. You're welcome.. I hope she recovers well for you.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by