bloody poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cristina33, Jan 14, 2010.

1. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    My chicks have some blood in there poo ( its got some red in it ) they are on medicated feed is there anything else i should give them?

Thanks
    Cristina

2. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    If it's a small amount don't sweat it. It's nautural. Just like when a hen lays and egg and you some times get small blood spots. Nothing to worry about. If it's alot of blood then post pictures. (I know that sounds dumb but the best way to tell what's wrong) Have a good day!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If I were you, I would get some Corid ASAP(if you can't get Corid, get Sulmet). Sounds like coccidiosis and it can kill them pretty fast.
    Corid dosing is 1 tsp. per gallon of water(change water every day) for 5-7 days. Not sure of the dosing on Sulmet.
    You can find either Corid or Sulmet at your local feed store.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Cocci presents along with lethargy; so, if they're acting normal, they're likely fine.

However, always remember that moisture is the biggest enemy of chickens! ESPECIALLY young 'uns. Keeping them dry and their brooder clean/dry is the very best preventative.

Good luck!

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I lost a 10 week old chick to cocci, it came on quick. I would see if there is any more blood and treat with either corrid, or if not available use sulmet. Make sure to give them some plain yogurt to help their tummies build back up.

Good luck, keep a close eye on them.

7. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Is it really that coccidiosis? I had 2 or 3 different aged chicks that did that and just a little blood sitting on top an dit just did it once and on one chick did it maybe twice or 3 times but that's it. They were fine. I have had them for 2 years now. Is it just there bodys fighting it quick or am I on a different page?

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:She is absolutely right. If they seem OK, it is probably nothing, but if you see any of them standing in a corner with their feathers fluffed out and not eating and drinking, along with the blood in the poo, it IS cocci.

Just keep a close eye on them because cocci moves fast.

9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:She is absolutely right. If they seem OK, it is probably nothing, but if you see any of them standing in a corner with their feathers fluffed out and not eating and drinking, along with the blood in the poo, it IS cocci.

Just keep a close eye on them because cocci moves fast.

While she is right, in advanced stages, I can tell you that the first sign that I noticed in my flock was a deceased chick. They were fine up until that one death, then I did have a few that were fluffed up and lethargic. I can tell you that there wasn't just a little tiny bit of blood in the coop, there was quite a bit of it. I would check in the coop first, if you don't see any more than it's probably all fine. But, do keep an eye on them. I'm not a fan of medicating without serious cause, but because cocci is so deadly and it is pretty common I think it's prudent to keep watch for more blood in their stool.

10. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    Its not really bloody or anything and alot of the poo is normal so I am a bit confused. There is a small amount of a redish color in some of the poo not like blood bath poop. I did notice a few of the peeps have watery eyes. How do they get this coci ? They are in the brooder on newspaper and they rip it to heck!! grrr what a mess ! They have a light 60 watts. They are 6 weeks old on a medicated starter . I was unable to find sumlet I found some Terymicyn (sp) added some of that to water?? I will be getting them yogurt in the am , any other ideas of what i can do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by