Bloody poo

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
I know that the first thought is coccidiosis, but I'm not sure it's that. - After bloody poo shows up, how long before other symptoms show? I read that bloody poo meantits pretty far progressed but I thought if it was coccicidosis, other symptoms would have shown by now.
I went to feed my chickens today and 3 of the bantams (that are at the very bottom of the pecking order) I was hand feeding. One of them pooped, not sure which one, and it was pretty bloody. I picked up and looked down all of them and they all seem fine. I checked each of their vents and they all looked normal. And they're all running around playing, jumping, and eating and drinking normally.
I went back outside and there's more bloody poo. :( they're all still acting normally but I have no idea who it is. One of the bantams I suspected just pooped and it was healthy looking, I don't think it was her.
I recently did some construction lately and I'm worried one may have swallowed something I missed picking up :/
What are all the possibilities this could be?

Some of them do look like the pictures of shed intestinal lining, one dropping was more watery. My local feed store doesn't sell corid, is there anywhere else I can get it in case it does turn out to be cocci?

Last edited:
I found out who it was! It was one of my little cockerels, which I don't know the breed of. After hours of trying to watch all 40 chickens and see which one was making the bloody poo, I finally got lucky. I have him in quarantine right now for safe measures. I noticed he wasn't eating or drinking with the others when I fed them this morning, which arose my suspicion. He isn't acting lethargic at all but I'm starting to think more towards cocci. I am ordering medicine for him and as a just in case, I get any more with symptoms. So far I think he's the only one with it. I completely removed all the bloody droppings and cleaned out their waterers as well. Hopefully I can get him feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom