Bloody poop AFTER CORID

ABakes09

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
New chicken momma. Had one chickie (of 7) with bloody poop and isolating herself all fluffed up. Treated with CORID immediately started doing better. 3 days later (still treating flock in water) the same little chickie started acting sick again. Upped her dosage with a dropper bottle for 2 additional days. Did a total of 6 days for the flock and sick chick. Now 4 days after no treatment (2 days on nutridrench) I’m seeing bloody poop again. No one is acting sick(yet). I’m trying to figure out which chick it is, but not sure yet. I switched them to medicated feed yesterday as I had to buy a new bag anyway. I clean the coop and run and bleach the waterer daily. Should I wait it out a couple of days to see if anyone starts acting sick. Treat flock again, find the bloody pooper and treat her with CORID from a dropper. Any insight would be helpful.

New chicken momma. Had one chickie (of 7) with bloody poop and isolating herself all fluffed up. Treated with CORID immediately started doing better. 3 days later (still treating flock in water) the same little chickie started acting sick again. Upped her dosage with a dropper bottle for 2 additional days. Did a total of 6 days for the flock and sick chick. Now 4 days after no treatment (2 days on nutridrench) I’m seeing bloody poop again. No one is acting sick(yet). I’m trying to figure out which chick it is, but not sure yet. I switched them to medicated feed yesterday as I had to buy a new bag anyway. I clean the coop and run and bleach the waterer daily. Should I wait it out a couple of days to see if anyone starts acting sick. Treat flock again, find the bloody pooper and treat her with CORID from a dropper. Any insight would be helpful.
If I have a stubborn case like this, I do both a drench, & Corid water for about 7-10 days.

How much are you giving them? If the dose is too small, it's not gonna have a good effect.

How old are the chicks?

Chicks are between 4-5weeks. I used the 3/4 teaspoon per gal since they are still young the one I fed with a dropper I upped it to the 0.024% fed her 3 times a day for 2-3 days with the dropper also I have the powder CORID
1625146832984.jpeg

Chicks are between 4-5weeks. I used the 3/4 teaspoon per gal since they are still young the one I fed with a dropper I upped it to the 0.024% fed her 3 times a day for 2-3 days with the dropper also I have the powder CORID View attachment 2742617
I use the liquid since it's easier to use in my opinion.

Corid is a gentle anti parasitic, it's a Thiamine blocker, it's really hard to over dose with it.

2-3 days direct dosing isn't long enough.

Nope. After I stopped treatment. I gave them nutridrench for 2 days to replenish.
I'd suggest keeping them on corid until the Coccidiosis is cleared, otherwise you'll be feeding the parasites that are remaining, & causing them to damage the intestinal tract further.

I use the liquid since it's easier to use in my opinion.

Corid is a gentle anti parasitic, it's a Thiamine blocker, it's really hard to over dose with it.

2-3 days direct dosing isn't long enough.
She was dosed for 6 days total with the rest of the flock. I just increased it since she started showing signs for a second time. I didn’t want to keep them on it too long.

I'd suggest keeping them on corid until the Coccidiosis is cleared, otherwise you'll be feeding the parasites that are remaining, & causing them to damage the intestinal tract further.
So how do I know when it is cleared? Everyone has been fine with no bloody poops since day 4 or 5 of treatment. And now I’m just starting to see it again. I’m fine with restarting CORID if it’s necessary. I just didn’t want to overdo it

She was dosed for 6 days total with the rest of the flock. I just increased it since she started showing signs for a second time. I didn’t want to keep them on it too long.
I'm currently treating chicks a second time for Coccidiosis. There's different strains, & occasionally there's the strain that takes a Sulfa drug to kill it.

Luckily I haven't needed to use that.

I'll tag in an expert in dosage to help you out more then what I can with the powder form.

Back
Top Bottom