Bloody poop again!

Mar 30, 2018
I found bloody poop in the coop again. I treated the chickens a few months ago for coccidiosis, after a week of deluge, and then I could obviously see that one of the chickens was sick (tail down, not active). This time they all look healthy, but egg production has gone down (two eggs in 3 days from 4 chickens). They are eating and drinking normally.

We did have a huge snowstorm (20 iches) last week, and then rain right after, so it has been wet. I am starting them on Corid again, but is there anything else I can do to help them? They are eating Purina layer pellets, no treats, and get out at least once a day for a few hours to free range. I have been keeping them in the run more lately, as we have a fox that has been showing up on our game cam, so they only go out when I can watch them closely.

I will pick up some more vitamins to give them after they are done with the Corid.

Sounds likely it is coccidiosis again, I don't think there is anything more you can do besides treating them again followed by a booster as you've said:idunno. But maybe some of the wiser ones will be more helpful. Wet weather is a pain!
It's not just some intestinal shedding? I would treat anyway, better safe than sorry if in doubt with coccidiosis.

I found bloody poop in the coop again. I treated the chickens a few months ago for coccidiosis, after a week of deluge, and then I could obviously see that one of the chickens was sick (tail down, not active). This time they all look healthy, but egg production has gone down (two eggs in 3 days from 4 chickens). They are eating and drinking normally.

We did have a huge snowstorm (20 iches) last week, and then rain right after, so it has been wet. I am starting them on Corid again, but is there anything else I can do to help them? They are eating Purina layer pellets, no treats, and get out at least once a day for a few hours to free range. I have been keeping them in the run more lately, as we have a fox that has been showing up on our game cam, so they only go out when I can watch them closely.

I will pick up some more vitamins to give them after they are done with the Corid.
Can you post some photos?
What dosage of Corid are you using?
Can you take a sample to your vet for testing of worms and Coccidia?

This time of year egg production can go down due to lower levels of light. It should start picking up after winter solstice.

Hello it does sound like your dealing with coccidiosis but if your not sure you can feel their breast bone is there meat around it good if not your flock has coccia. It is hard to treat with so much wet but your doing everything right. so I hope your flock gets better :fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl.
Can you clarify this statement?
Coccidia is a protozoa that affects the intestines.

COCCI cocci cocci can be back at any time if immune system is low ..and second thing is all our chicken fellows in United States use corid which works great but only on one type of Coccidiosis where we here use SULMET Smz+tmz together which work on a
7 types of Coccidiosis

I WOULD RECOMMED TO USE SULMET IN COCCI CAUSE IT WORKS RAPID FAST AND KILL ALL THE STRAINS
AND BOOST UP THE IMMUNITY WITH IMMUNO BOOSTR VET FOR 7-20 DAYS

Yes it eats away at the stomach lining which makes the chicken not want to eat very much so it gets skinny.
I'm sorry sweetie. I have never heard of this. Do you have links to this information?

Coccidia is a protozoa that lives in the intestines. It can be very damaging to the intestines and if chronic can cause weight loss, impact egg production and infection of the intestines.
While an overload is mainly seen in youngsters, they do build resistance to the protozoa,
adults can suffer from long term damage and become overloaded given the right conditions or if they are sick from another illness.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

COCCI cocci cocci can be back at any time if immune system is low ..and second thing is all our chicken fellows in United States use corid which works great but only on one type of Coccidiosis where we here use SULMET Smz+tmz together which work on a
7 types of Coccidiosis

I WOULD RECOMMED TO USE SULMET IN COCCI CAUSE IT WORKS RAPID FAST AND KILL ALL THE STRAINS
AND BOOST UP THE IMMUNITY WITH IMMUNO BOOSTR VET FOR 7-20 DAYS
I believe you got that backwards:)
Sulfa drugs treat a "few" strains, while Amprolium treats "most".
Amprolium is still the coccidiostat of choice for most of us in the US, if it is not effective, then Sulfa drugs are given.

Where you live @Saaniya strains may be more resistant to Amprolium or the strains you have may need to be treated with Sulfa drugs.

Corid is easily purchased at most feed stores while Sulfa drugs need to be ordered online or sources through a vet. We don't always have easy access to all the medications that you do.

I believe you got that backwards:)
Sulfa drugs treat a "few" strains, while Amprolium treats "most".
Amprolium is still the coccidiostat of choice for most of us in the US, if it is not effective, then Sulfa drugs are given.

Where you live @Saaniya strains may be more resistant to Amprolium or the strains you have may need to be treated with Sulfa drugs.

Corid is easily purchased at most feed stores while Sulfa drugs need to be ordered online or sources through a vet. We don't always have easy access to all the medications that you do.

Oh no :barnie:lol:

Here what i.listen in my last lecture they give Amprolium but it won't work but sulfa works faster then anything :old

Back
Top Bottom