Bloody poop and a dead chick

bantyhen'sfriend

Songster
14 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Southern Wisconsin
I recently bought three white polish chicks that are about 5-6 weeks old from a breeder in our area. Brought them home on Saturday, all bright-eyed and chipper, and Monday morning one was a bit lethargic. I came home at about 3:45 and one of the chicks had died. I found blood around the vent feathers and the wing feathers where they could have been pooped on, and bloody poop. Another chcik has the blood on the wing feathers as well, and is a bit lethargic compared to the other chick. The poop is solid, but with sticky liquid blood around it, compared to the type of blood/tissue found in coccidiosis poop, so I'm not sure it's coccidiosis like I had origionally thought. The chicks are eating medicated chick crumbles. What can I do, and what does this chick have?

I have found all different kinds of poops with coccidiosis. It sounds to me like the chicks hit a coccidiosis overload that the medicated food couldn't handle. I would start on corid or sulmet immediately.

sounds like coccidiosis. Some one help me here, what's the name of the yellow powder you put in the water???? You can get it a TSC and most feed stores. Just ask, they should know. Also give them some yogurt, vit E and poly-sol(sp) liquid baby vitamins from Wal-mart. I would also thoroughly clean the brooder with ammonia. Bleach won't kill coccidiosis.

I figured as much, although we've never dealt with coccidiosis before. The brooder is a wooden box, however we could change boxes. I'll start the chicks on the meds and yogurt and vitamins right away, the meds I think I have, I'll have to check, or pick them up tomorrow. Should I take them off the feed, and replace the crumbles with yogurt and oatmeal?

Last edited:
Keep them on the feed. I'd add the other stuff. The yogurt helps to coat the digestive system and replaces the good bacteria. I mix it with the feed but on the soupy side. They will eat it like crazy!. The vitamins obviously help replace what is being lost and boosts everything. And the powder medication for the H2O is just that, medication.

As for your wooden brooder, clean it anyway. Even if you transfer these chicks, you will still have the issue. Of all I have read about coccidiosis, it loves to hang around and just letting it "dry out" is not enough. It will still be there when you go to use the brooder. Also, from everything I have read, there is a specific disinfectant (again I can't remember the name, I am horrible with names) for coccidiosis, but it's costly and the ammonia works as well.

I had a bout of it last spring and my wooden and wire brooder was infected by sick chicks. I washed it then sprayed it completely down with ammonia, let it dry, and no problems since.

Back
Top Bottom