Bloody Poop and Blood Drops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PTSM, Dec 5, 2008.

1. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    I have 4 hens, they live in a house that's 1/2 chicken wire under their perches, and 1/2 wood with pine shavings. Fed regular layer feed, they have plenty of water and have been laying regularly, given the season (about an egg every few days, each). I just noticed 3-4 droppings that are redish on top instead of white. Also noticed one drop of blood under the perches.

Can someone please help me identify what the problem might be? It's been very cold out, but they have a heat lamp at night, and seem to be doing just fine (making noise, hopping around, eating, etc.). I fed them chopped up cilantro, parsely and peppers, and diced summer squash this morning, which they seem to have all eaten.

I'm worried about my little chickies. [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Blood in poo is often a sign of cocci. HOWEVER, if they are not lethargic, are still eating, and haven't lost weight... it's probably something they ate. Just keep an eye on them for now.

3. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks.

They're about 8-9 months old. Is that too old for cocci?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most should have immunity to it by then and a small quantity in them all the time is part of the natural parasite load. Upon stress or other sickness though, adults can get cocci. Just not as common.

5. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    One of the hens (the Speckled Sussex) has been perching a lot - she usually hangs out with the other 3 during the day, instead of perching.

In the event of bloody poop, should any precautions be taken when eating eggs?

Thanks again for your help.

-Morgan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by