Bloody poop and my chicks are dieing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jalean, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jalean

Jalean New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    I don't know what is going on, I've lost 2 rir and 1 dominique to bloody poop. Pen and coop are kept clean, always have fresh water and food. Any ideas??

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    How old are your chicks and did you feed them medicated feed?

4. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Sounds like coccidiosis. You need concentrated Amprollium (same ingredient that's in medicated feed), preferably Corid. Sulmet can also work I think, but is harder on little chicks - Corid won't hurt them, even if they don't need it. You need to treat all your birds if some of them are showing these symptoms. Even if you're feeding medicated, outbreaks can still occur and the medicated feed is not strong enough to treat the birds.

I found Corid in the cattle section of my local farm store (it can be tricky to find, it's used for a lot of different animals). I think I used 2 tsp per gallon of H2O but there are threads on here that can tell you for sure. Please get some Corid asap, as if you're seeing bloody poop it may already be too late. Also, avoid giving them any yogurt or high-protein treats as that can make the infection worse.

Where do you live? If you happen to be in Colorado (Denver/Boulder) I have a huge jug of Corid and would be happy to share. Good luck to you and your chicks!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Corid is better than Sulmet and is not an antibiotic. Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoan not a bacteria, so antibiotics aren't what is needed. Medicated feed is no guarantee against cocci and is not a treatment for it once it is present--the dose is way too low in the feed to treat it.

6. Jalean

Jalean New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    Thank you all very much for the information. I went to the feed store and told them what was going on. They had me buy Duramycin which is Tetracycline, but I have no clue how to dose it. My Dominiques are about 6 weeks and my RIRs are 4 weeks old. I've had chickens before but never had anything like this before. I'm located in N.E Texas. I haven't been feeding medicated food because I've never needed to before, I guess I need to look into it.

Kisha

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    What they've given you is an antibiotic, this will NOT help with coccidiosis and can make the chicks much sicker! You need to get Corid, and if that's not available Sulmet will work. Antibiotics are not effective against cocci and can cause other problems in the chicks.

I had the same problem with my feed store, when I asked for Corid they told me they didn't have it, then tried to sell me antibiotics. I found Corid there, in the cattle aisle. Unfortunately, it seems like sometimes the "experts" are happy to give advice when they don't really have the experience.

I hope you can find some Corid, and I really think you should return the Duramycin and let the store employees know they are giving bad advice. Hope your chicks make it.

8. Jalean

Jalean New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    ok, I'll go get it in the morning. Wish me luck...

Kisha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by