Bloody poop at 7 weeks, CX.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Dogfish, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'm raising 47 CX in 3 separate pens. 30 in an 8'x8' outdoor tractor, and the other 17 in two seprate indoor 4'x4' brooders. Just testing different methods to see how they turn out. Bought 75 birds from Welp, sold 30, kept the rest (including the three extras). Only 1 has died (mine) in talking with the other folks involved in this batch. Bird quality is good, and I only see one runt out of my birds.

My wife told me to head out and take a few CX early for Sunday dinner, so I picked out a large bird, slit, and then headed to the other indoor pen and picked out another one. That is when I saw some bloody stool. Figured out the one doing it and culled him. Then I got to scalding, and checked on the birds again, and saw more bloody poop, found that bird and culled him. Have never seen bloody poop in any of these birds, and both birds were in the same brooder. Now each of the brooders have been cleaned out, and each set of birds remain in their separate pens.

Any idea what is going on? No health issues that I can see. The birds weighed about 5lbs each, all roos. I have the heavy duty killing machine arriving next Wednesday, so if the others in that one brooder go that way, I can process them pretty quickly, only 5 days away.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cocci?

3. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    If that is the case, at least I have them separated.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi neighbor,

You've probably already seen this, but just in case here's the link to the poo page-- http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If
    it is cocci seperating/culling the most affected won't do much to slow it down because the protozoa lives in the soil. It will keep the ones not feeling well from getting picked on though. With cocci you usually see the birds hunched up and fluffed out before you find the bloody poo so I'm not sure that's what's going on, but don't have a better suggestion.

If your birds do have cocci and you need to treat send me a p.m. I've got a nearly full bottle of Corid and it has no withdrawl time before slaughter like Sulmet does so would probably be best in your situation.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If your planning on butchering them soon, I wouldn't do a thing. Cocci would overtake them eventually, but I doubt it would be before you butcher. I would not medicate anything I was going to eat even if the meds have no withdraw. Cocci is located in the intestines, so there is no concern for eating a critter infected with it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If you are still a a few weeks away then you might want to treat with Corid/Ampolium as the cocci will certainly hamper getting a good finnish on the chickens and the added stress might raise the chances of loosing them to other causes.

I see different sources list different withdrawals ranging from 0 days to 10 days.

7. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks for the offer of the meds, but I'll pass on that, neighbor. We are having a full tilt processing event next Friday, if you are interested in seeing one in action.

The birds with the bloody poop have only ever been on shavings, never dirt, and they have been inside my shop the whole time. Don't know how they could have come in contact with the protozoa, so that is puzzling. They have only ever been taken away from birds, not co-mingled with others. We're 5 days away from having the full set-up for the slaughter, 7 days from the work party. I also appreciate the link to "poo chat".

I'll check them twice a day and cull any of the remaining birds as needed.

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:In my opinion, that's unneccessary (culling). I really doubt you'll lose any from it in the next 7 days. I agree, it may slow them down a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by