bloody poop? bloody poop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brigitt, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    Today I found this poop on the dish in the brooder.
    In this brooder there are three Australorp chicks 6 weeks old; up to now they have never been outside, too darn hot. They eat commercial pullet feed, choped stinging nettle and little cooked rice. They are all very lively, eat and drink well. Vents are clean.
    Could this be blood around the poop and in the top part of the picture some clots? bloody poop.JPG

and what should I do (forget about any vets for backyardchickens around here), would it be anything bacterial? so give them which antibiotics?
    I haven't done or administered anything special for the moment and hope to hear from the learned community some suggestions to what this could be and how to treat it.
    I also can't say for how long this condition already is going on, as the poop in the dish drew my attention, otherwise...

Thank you so much for any help!

Attached Files:

TropicalBabies and casportpony like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Coccidiosis so you need corrid...

Chick-N-Fun and TropicalBabies like this.
  3. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    Thanks for the speedy answer, I almost feared it would be that. It's the first time this happened to my chicks - as far as I can tell. So it will be amprolium in their water, desinfecting the brooder and hoping all goes well...

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Chick-N-Fun and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Yes, amprolium in their water and you can give them some of it orally too. What kind of amprolium can you get where you live?

If amprolium doesn't work you could try any sulfa antibiotic or toltrazuril (Baycox).

Let us know what you can get and we'll help you come up with the correct dose.

6. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    Thanks, will go to the 'agroveterinaria' asap.

Chick-N-Fun and casportpony like this.
  7. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    What a week...
    so here is what was available, seems to me a bit of an overkill, but there was nothing to choose from...
    This goes in their feed not their water.

Ciclina sulfa

Ciclina sulfa.JPG

Is there a way to give them some in their water or as a drench?
    Right now I'm thinking of giving this stuff to the three chicks in the brooder; beside it there's another brooder with a broody hen in it - should she take it too? And what about the chicks that were in the brooder before the aforementioned three, should they take it too?
    The bottomline of the package says something like: not to be given to layers whose eggs are destined for human consumption. But all my chickens are layers... If I gave the medication to my whole flock would I just have to eliminate the eggs for a certain period and then human consumption would again be ok?

I would be grateful for any suggestions and will wait with administering the stuff.
    Thanks, Brigitt

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  8. Backyardchickenlover89

Backyardchickenlover89 Chirping

Dec 16, 2018
    Hey

I’m really sorry that you are going through such a horrible thing,
    I would take it and mix it into their water, add a bit of apple cider vinager, just a tiny drop so that they can be able to drink the medicine water, I read about the apple cider vinegar in a article it said it helps chickens drink more water during summer or chickens that don’t drink water at all, so double check
    it before doing so, I suggest adding anything that will give the medicine water a better taste

9. Backyardchickenlover89

Backyardchickenlover89 Chirping

Dec 16, 2018
    It is caused by a parasite that affects the intestinal lining and integrity of the gut. It impairs the ability to absorb nutrition causing weight loss. Anemia can be severe from bloody diarrhea. Coccidiosis needs prompt treatment with a coccidiostat or the affected chicks will likely die. A veterinarian should be consulted if at all possible. You can buy chick feed with added coccidiostat at the feed store.

Treatment will also include clean food and water with added probiotics and electrolytes. The brooder area should be kept scrupulously clean to avoid re-infection of the chicks.

10. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    Thank you for your answer.
    All my chicks get medicated chickfeed the first two weeks. Maybe I should give it to them for a longer time?
    We do not have ACV here, unfortunately, must be a miracle-vinegar : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: