Bloody poop; corid treatment?

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there. I have nine chicks who are 4.5-6.5 weeks old. Everyone seems healthy and happy. I was told the chicks had been oreventatively treated for coccidiosis. One of the chicks had a bloody stool (see pic) and another has watery stool (both were yesterday morning...no other meaningful sign that I have noticed yet). No idea who “made” these as no one seems lethargic or ill. Should ai treat them all with corid?

They do have supervised field trips into the (half acre) yard where we have one other free ranging chicken (surviving dame from prior flock), and also have a dish of dirt also from our yard in their brooder (to bathe and play in).

Thank you!

Attachments

• DE932FE4-1617-4ECB-86E3-33015C255AE7.jpeg
    DE932FE4-1617-4ECB-86E3-33015C255AE7.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DA7E8CFD-4FED-40C3-BE9F-D8AF8E7421FF.jpeg
    DA7E8CFD-4FED-40C3-BE9F-D8AF8E7421FF.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 4
What was used to treat prophylactically?

Looks like intestinal shedding, but it won't hurt to treat them with Corid.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

What was used to treat prophylactically?

Looks like intestinal shedding, but it won't hurt to treat them with Corid.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

Thanks so much. Really reassuring, and shows me just how much there is to learn. (Intestinal shedding??? Who knew there was such a thing? ...My rehomed adult birds we so easy, but honestly, as they roamed about my yard I saw very little of their poop!)

I don't know what they were treated with. I actually got these particular chicks at a feed store and they had just said they were pretreated.

Again, appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom