Bloody poop in 4 week old chicks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikenChik, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ChikenChik

ChikenChik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    My 4 week old chicks have quite a few bloody poops in their cage today. I tried to get pictures but they went crazy and spread it all over. I guess they don't like the camera lol. They are not lethargic at all and are eating and drinking but I am still worried. Should I start them on Corid now just in case or wait for other symptoms of cocci?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I would get the Corid started today. There is a lot of price variability among farm stores from $17-24, but I would check around to make sure they have some and hold it for you. TSC are high on it, but if you have Rural King or other stores you might check there. Don't delay. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Keep the bedding clean and dry as possible. After treatment you can give them some vitamins and probiotic plain yogurt for several more day.

3. ChikenChik

ChikenChik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Ok hubby is stopping by tsc on his way home. I switched to a rabbit bottle waterer yesterday because they kept knocking bedding into the waterer causing it to leak all over or knocking it over if I tried to raise it up. I have been cleaning the cage out every 2 or 3 days and just adding clean bedding in between and taking out any wet stuff but I will just start changing it every day. Should I disinfect the whole cage? Is there anything else I should do? Like I said they are definitely active and eating and drinking. I haven't been keeping their feeder full because they end up with so much poop in it I dump it out at least once a day. It's elevated a bit but they are just crazy little scratchers that fling the stuff everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by