Bloody Poop in coop, Need opinion~ hens not acting sick~ PHOTOS

mooreyolks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
I have looked at the sample stool images, and other threads on this topic... just not too sure where my birds' "poop" falls in the categories, cannot tell which 8 week old bird it came from, (they all nestle together to sleep) I have #3 RIR, and #2 EE, all appear well, drinking, eating and active, I am including photos of the poops I found yesterday morning, in the area they were bedded down in.....there were normal, "cecum" and then this dark/bright red, some watery, some viscous...looked like it "could" be intestinal shedding b/se part of it was thickish...not sure if I need to find the Corid to start the on it or not...they were all on medicated chick feed, just moved on to layer feed...had to work yesterday, only found one more spot on ground last night, very viscous and deep burgundy red in color...will be watching them close today....OPINIONS? Sorry for the graphic photos, I am a nurse, they are diagnostic to me...only I don't know what I'm looking for
D.gif
Thank you in advance....this is our first adventure with backyard chickens...my daughter has been feeding them a few pineapple guava flowerets (EDIBLE FOR HUMANS), not sure if this has anything to do with it....

Wanted to add, the chicks have grown well, gained weight well, eating/drinking great, very active, there is NO foul odor to the poop, no injury found on any birds, going on 9 weeks old, they have just in last week "moved" to their big coop and run in the backyard from being in temporary quarter with heater in the garage, so they are on "new soil", but they have been getting medicated chick feed up until just now.

I recommend that you go ahead and get them started on the corid. The 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh daily, dont add anything else to the mixture. There is no withdrawal.

Thank you, our local Tractor Supply carries the Corid 20%, will have to calculate the powder to liquid dose, but will go ahead & pick it up this am...hopefully it's a good sign they are all active this am, and only a small light pink area seen overnight, no great bloody mess

Thank you, our local Tractor Supply carries the Corid 20%, will have to calculate the powder to liquid dose, but will go ahead & pick it up this am...hopefully it's a good sign they are all active this am, and only a small light pink area seen overnight, no great bloody mess
The 20% corid soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Thanks! Got it, (last package they had!) chickens are drinking it now....witnessed some more light red/pinkish/tan poops that looked fresh, and had like sausage casings...stretchy like. Keeping my fingers crossed that none get really sick, I've become very very attatched to all and daughter has named them
D.gif
The EE hen (I think the other is a roo) is lying around a lot, but it's sunny out, maybe she is just napping~

UPDATE....Well, one of the RIR and my favorite EE are definately the bleeders, (all of the other 3 are still having normal poops), and those two are acting sluggish now...just puffed up, not moving around much, "sleepy" and not wanting to eat or drink too much, I put treated corid water in a small container just by them hoping they would drink through the night....Is there ANYTHING else I can do? NOT LIKING the change in their activity, had no idea I would be this attached
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom