BLOODY POOP - Is it always cause for alarm?

sherpagirl

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Central New York - FOSSIL ROCK FARM
My Coop
My Coop
I have several groups of chicks all different ages. They are all eating medicated chick starter. Everyone seems very healthy. However, every once in a while I'll see some blood in some poop, consistency of tomato paste. Is this really cause for alarm? Or do chicks routinely pass a little blood like the adults do? I've seen all those pictures of poop (in the link) and some have blood but are considered normal for adult chickens. I don't want to freak out everytime i see a little blood and start giving cocci meds, over medicating is harmful too. What amount and frequency of blood is normal in chicks, anywhere from about 2 weeks to 15 weeks?

"Every once in a while" sounds normal to me, though I'm not saying they can't be sick. I'm no vet, for sure. One thing about it, Corid (amprolium) is usually the preferred first treatment for cocci, and all it does is inhibit thiamine uptake in the cocci. It's not an antibiotic. The chickens absorb very little. In other words, as drugs go, it's relatively harmless. It's the same drug that is usually put in medicated feed, but a much higher dose.

I read that occasional "blood" is actually from when they shed their intestinal lining. It may not be the case for you, though.
Good Luck!
smile.png

Edited to say: If they are just shedding their intestinal lining, it is no cause for alarm. Try checking out the poop chart.
frow.gif

Last edited:
Erin~TheChickenLover :

I read that occasional "blood" is actually from when they shed their intestinal lining. It may not be the case for you, though.
Good Luck!
smile.png

Edited to say: If they are just shedding their intestinal lining, it is no cause for alarm. Try checking out the poop chart.
frow.gif

Does the poop chart apply to chicks? And how often do they shed their intestinal lining?​

Back
Top Bottom