BLOODY POOP - Is it always cause for alarm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sherpagirl, Jul 24, 2011.

1. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several groups of chicks all different ages. They are all eating medicated chick starter. Everyone seems very healthy. However, every once in a while I'll see some blood in some poop, consistency of tomato paste. Is this really cause for alarm? Or do chicks routinely pass a little blood like the adults do? I've seen all those pictures of poop (in the link) and some have blood but are considered normal for adult chickens. I don't want to freak out everytime i see a little blood and start giving cocci meds, over medicating is harmful too. What amount and frequency of blood is normal in chicks, anywhere from about 2 weeks to 15 weeks?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    "Every once in a while" sounds normal to me, though I'm not saying they can't be sick. I'm no vet, for sure. One thing about it, Corid (amprolium) is usually the preferred first treatment for cocci, and all it does is inhibit thiamine uptake in the cocci. It's not an antibiotic. The chickens absorb very little. In other words, as drugs go, it's relatively harmless. It's the same drug that is usually put in medicated feed, but a much higher dose.

3. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I read that occasional "blood" is actually from when they shed their intestinal lining. It may not be the case for you, though.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

Edited to say: If they are just shedding their intestinal lining, it is no cause for alarm. Try checking out the poop chart. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Erin~TheChickenLover :

I read that occasional "blood" is actually from when they shed their intestinal lining. It may not be the case for you, though.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

Edited to say: If they are just shedding their intestinal lining, it is no cause for alarm. Try checking out the poop chart. [​IMG]

Does the poop chart apply to chicks? And how often do they shed their intestinal lining?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by