bloody poop on a Sunday

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenOnTheHill, Aug 18, 2013.

1. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill Out Of The Brooder

Its a Sunday morning and I just discovered that my three 7 week old chicks began depositing bloody poops sometime during the last night. One of them seemed listless yesterday, but I hadn't notice any abnormal poop then. From what I've read, it sounds like it is cocci and that I need to treat with Corid. The challenge is that no one is open on a Sunday who carries this treatment. Tomorrow morning I can get it at about 5 different places. So the question is, what can I do in the meantime? Will the chicks likely make it until tomorrow? Someone suggested powdered milk in another post and I added that to their feed already. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Powdered milk will help, as will buttermilk. This coats the intestinal tract, and reduces the effect of the disease, to a certain extent. If you're giving your chicks vitamins (like Save-a-Chick), stop giving them. Vitamins are how the protozoa survive.

When you get the Corid, start treatment immediately. The dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water, for five days. This should help, if you chicks have the disease.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dosage information for Corid(amprolium) 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon of water(this may be increased to almost 1 tsp(actual .92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,interferes with the ability of medication to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

4. HenOnTheHill

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will try the buttermilk and see if I can get them to drink some. They are not on any other vitamins at this time and have not been since I've had them. I called a 1/2 dozen places in my extended area and everyone who carries corid and is open on Sunday is out of stock, so hopefully I can get some tomorrow morning at the more local farm/livestock stores.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Ten Chicks is correct, unless someone can show me that there are more than 900mg in 1/2 a teaspoon, the Corid powder dose is no less than 3/4 teaspoon per US Gallon (960mg in 2 teaspoons of the liquid).

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tractor Supply is open on Sundays.

7. HenOnTheHill

What vitamins should I supplement with when the 5 days are over? I've tried introducing yogurt, but the small ones aren't as into it as the rest of my older flock is. I have chick electrolytes on hand. Would those work?

I was fortunately able to get Corid today (had to drive 45 minutes, but it is worth the peace of mind to get them started on it). The Corid I purchased is "for Bovine." Am I correct in understanding that this is the same product used for the chicks?

When I gave the mixed water to the chicks, all three drank pretty willingly, which seems like a good sign. There are also three guinea (8 weeks old) in the same run with the chicks, but they all seem ok (normal poop, eating like banshees, running wildly around-typical guinea behavior!). They will get the medicated water anyway.

Should I treat the rest of my older flock? They are in a separate coop (though attached to the chick run) and no one has shown any signs of infection. Do I need to disinfect the run in anyway after treatment?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to make sure my bases are covered!

8. HenOnTheHill

9. HenOnTheHill

Ha! Yes, I called 5 Tractor Supply stores until I finally found one who had Corid in stock. Maybe that's a sign they need to up their inventory.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lol, I always tell people to buy some Corid to keep on hand just for this reason. Always seem to need it when everybody is closed or out of stock! Has happened to me too. [​IMG] And yes, it is labeled for calves.

It is probably not necessary to treat the older birds as they will have developed immunity to the cocci in their environment, as will these chicks. But if you are concerned it also will not hurt them. I would clean the run but I personally wouldn't bother trying to disinfect it. Cocci live in the soil, you can never get rid of them completely. If you did decide to disinfect you will need to use ammonia as bleach will not kill the cocci.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by