Bloody poop! Plz Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinytina, Jul 17, 2010.

1. tinytina

tinytina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Omg, I am so worried. I think my of my baby might be pooping blood! I am a first time chicken owner and I am so lost and worried right now.

My babies are around 4 weeks old (I got them two weeks ago). They all seem healthy and active and eating lots but I woke up to see this this morning:

[​IMG]

I have been reading the forum and it looks like it's either:
    1. Coccidiosis
    2. Shed lining of their intestinal wall

Personally, I am leaning towards #2 but I could be wrong. The closest feed store is 2 hours away from me and if I need to get medicines for my baby, I should head out soon.

The bloodiness does look like a single occurrence, I just went out to check on the birds again and I see mostly normal dropping. Though I notice one bird napping.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you soo much in advance.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. tinytina

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    So I decided that it's just the lining and didn't end up going to the feed store for medsÂ… [​IMG]:fl

They all seem fine and still active today and I haven't found any more poop that looks like that. [​IMG] sigh. little things about these babies that just makes me sooo worried all the time. i am sure worrying about chickens could be my full time job.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Hopefully that is all it was. They can sure worry the hide off of you can't they? And yes, worrying about them IS a full time job.
    Good for you for paying close enough attention to notice that something could be wrong!
    Just in case, though, having some cocci medicine on hand is not a bad idea-after losing one of my babies to it on a Sunday night(when everything was closed) I went and got some the next day and am NEVER without Corid.

4. tinytina

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That's a good idea! Thanks easttxchick! I'll pick some up asap. It's better to be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by