Bloody poop...unresponsive chick...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I am sure there is an answer to this somewhere here, but I am too distraught to search.

This morning I found a pile of seemingly normal looking poop but engulfed with what looks like blood.

One chick (17 weeks, but still my chick) did not come when I came to feed, like everybody else does.

I even tried to coax with corn on the cob treat, which they all love. She won't budge.

They are all 17 weeks, happy and comfortable. Even in this heat. I keep blocks of ice in their water, I have a barrel fan going most of the day, especially at peak hot times, the coop is open air shaded from direct sun in the "open" side of the barn.....

I'm sorry if this makes no sense but, Please help me.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I'd say coccidiosis. I've heard that Corid can be used to treat it? I've never had to deal with it, but i'm giving you a bump so someone with experience can help [​IMG]

3. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Cocci is the most common cause of bloody poop. Corid (Amprolium) works great but need to get it to the chick soon. You add it to the drinking water. If it is too sick to drink you can put some in a syringe and give it to it that way to get a large enough dose to get it started.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:X2 you will need to do this very quick. Cocci can kill in as early as 3 days. Good luck to you and the sweet chick!

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    How did she get this? What did I do wrong?

I can't stop crying now....

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    It is 1/2 TEAspoon of the 20% Corid per Gallon of water for 5 days....

However you are not suppose to be giving them milk or yogurt during that treatment.....(at least that is what I have been told an have always followed).

The yogurt and milk coat the lining preventing the absorption of the meds...and increase the good bacteria....you are suppose to follow up the treatment with a mash or feed and yogurt for a few days AFTER the treatment is done...that is the only thing i can think of that might be effecting them.....other chicks once they get Cocci just are not strong enough to pull through.

this is a quote from cocci post . The protoza is in the dirt you didn't do anything wrong . Hope this helps . Sorry for your problem [​IMG]

7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Cocci is everywhere. In older chicks and birds, they can get sick when their immune system is weakened. Not your fault so don't be hard on yourself. I keep Corid in the medicine cabinet just in case. Keep an eye on your other ones. Some use ACV in the drinking water as a normal routine and feed garlic and such for immune boosters.
    And most important..., [​IMG]

8. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you all so much. I'm calling around now to find the Corid.

9. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Please note that the liquid corid (9%), which is all I have available locally, is dosed at 2 tsp. per gallon of water. You can also use Sulmet which has directions on the bottle.

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    try tsc or your local co-op, some feed stores have it . I have new chickeys that will be hitting the ground next week already have some on hand as I also have some 16 weekers they or we were lucky that they didn't come down with it .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by