Bloody poop **WARNING** Graphic Pictures** Important Update!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GloriaH, Aug 15, 2008.

1. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I did crop surgery on my Bantam Faverolle about a week ago. It was easy and she came through it just fine. I put her on injectable Penn for 1 day before the surgery and 2 days after to prevent any infection. 2 days after she was off the Penn she developed a sinus infection. I took the wood shavings out of her box and put her on paper. She had the sinus infection for 3 days before I could start her on Tylan 50. She has gotten .10 cc for the last 3 days. For the last 2 mornings she has pooped like this.
    [​IMG]

Later in the day her poop is normal.

[​IMG]
    Any ideas? Sorry for the long post...Gloria

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Could it be a cecal cocci infection? Cecal poo only happens every so often, and it wouldn't be wiped out by antibiotics. The stress from the surgery could have caused the cocci to get the upper hand, possibly.

Poor baby. I hope you find out what it is!

3. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Now that I'm done with the Tylan 50 I'll start probiotics tomorrow. I hate to try to do to much to the poor girl all at once. Do you think I should put her on medicated chick starter?

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Chick start is not a cure for cocci, it just helps the birds develop an immunity to it while the chickies are growing.

You need a heavier dose of amprolium or sulfadimethoxine from your vet.

5. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I knew that. [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would use the amprolium , sulfar meds can cause a little more bleeding to occur. TSC has Corid liquid amprol.

7. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    She was done with her Tylan 50 two days ago. (Sinus Infection) and since then she has no bloody poop. [​IMG]

8. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I went to my feed store yesterday. The owner and his family have raised chickens for years. He said that medications will cause bloody poop. He also said that when it happens people treat for Cocci when they don't have to. When I told him that her sinus infection still has not cleared up he said to give her a double whammy. 2 ounces of Tylan 40 mixed with 10 lbs of mash and feed untill it's gone. Also give her the injections and it should clear it up. I believe him because he knew right what I was talking about when I started to tell him about. Good news for Yevette! [​IMG]

9. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Sounds right. The antibiotics gave her gastritis...
    the meds can be heck on the gut. Good luck to you. keep us updated!

10. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Yevette is doing really well and I expect a full recovery [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by