1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bloody poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyleen, Sep 21, 2016.

1. kyleen

kyleen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2016
    Prescott AZ
    I recently got 3 new 3-4month old chickens. They all got a respiratory infection which then passed on to my old 6 month old flock (despite keeping them separate) so I've been treating both flocks with tetracycline 400. Recently I noticed in the new chick pen that there was bloody (very bloody) poop in there. One of them is shaky and the other quite tired and lethargic looking. What do I do? I don't want it to get passed on more so to my old flock and want them to get better! The breeder dos not vaccinate my new hens.

2. kyleen

Aug 2, 2016
    Prescott AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That much blood I would suspect Coccidiosis, treatment is with Corid which can be found at the feed store.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

4. kyleen

Aug 2, 2016
    Prescott AZ
    Should I stop the antibiotic they are currently on? I am assuming I cannot get both at once. But they still have their respiratory infection.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If it is Cocci they will most likely die more quickly from that than they will a respiratory illness. If they were mine I would treat for Cocci instead.

1 person likes this.
  6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree - based on my experience, by the time you see poop that looks like that, the chicks are in bad shape and need immediate treatment. There's a thread in BYC that addresses giving tetracycline and amprolium (Corid) at the same time here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/814578/corid-and-terramycin-together.

7. kyleen

Aug 2, 2016
    Prescott AZ
    What is the mortality rate? Is it likely going to die?

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I've raised many chicks and had no problems with coccidia...until this past March. The day we saw bloody poop, we began Corid treatment. They had copious, bloody poop - it was terrible to witness. Over a period of two days, despite treatment for a severe case, we lost 7 of the 13 four-week-old chicks. They'd look fine when we checked on them and a few hours later, we'd find them dead. This was my experience and I'm not suggesting it will be the case with yours...I just wanted to provide an example of what could happen, and how quickly it can progress. I think I lean a bit hypervigilant about it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by