1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bloody poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bdbutton, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Bdbutton

Bdbutton Chirping

May 30, 2018
    i just went out to the coop and found what looks like blood. It’s just red. What should I do?

Attached Files:

2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Uh oh......... could be the dreaded 'Coccidiosis'!! :eek: But don't panic yet, wait for the more experienced chicken keeper to chime in and see what they think.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I would need to see pictures and hear voices of chicks producing those "poop" to be certain, but that looks like an intense case of coccidiodosis building. My approach is lacing their drinking water with corid, increasing frequency you change water and bedding, and efforting to keep birds from getting chilled. Dehydration will set in quickly as will decrease in the ability to process food making so birds loose weight and the ability to generate heat.

casportpony and Altfrizzle like this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you do not have the corid, then go get it now. Also consider giving them a night lite so they can eat and drink 24 / 7.

casportpony likes this.
  5. Bdbutton

Bdbutton Chirping

May 30, 2018
    So I went out and bought the Corid an started them on it. None of them are acting sick. I cant believe they got sick since they are on a starter food with antibiotics in it. I’m so upset! I have only had them for two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: