Bloody Poop???

chickpeasoup

Chirping
Mar 27, 2019
Southern California
I noticed one of my hens had some blood on her butt and checked the roosting area to look at her poop and it was bloody! She laid an egg this morning and eats, drinks, and is very active. Her egg did not have any blood on it either. She only eats lay feed and sratch grain and is about 10 months old and has been laying for 4 months. Had I not noticed her bloody butt I wouldn't have guessed anything was wrong. I will try to take a picture of her vent, but she is very fussy.
20190425_183909.jpg

Here is her poop from earlier today, no blood.
20190425_182333.jpg
Here is her poop from last night, very bloody.
Does this look internal or external? I will take pictures of her vent when I can.

It would help to see a picture of her vent in case she has been pecked on her vent or has suffered a prolapse. How is she acting? If she is lethargic, hunched, and her vent is clear, then I would probably get some Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis. But oviduct cancer and pecking would be other possibilities.

It would help to see a picture of her vent in case she has been pecked on her vent or has suffered a prolapse. How is she acting? If she is lethargic, hunched, and her vent is clear, then I would probably get some Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis. But oviduct cancer and pecking would be other possibilities.
I took a look at her vent and it does not look damaged, there was no blood on it or any injuries on the outside. I will try to take a picture but from what I can see on the outside it looks normal. I stated in the post that her behavior is also normal, she is eating, drinking, and is very active scratching and scavenging for food. One would assume noting is wrong with her if they didn't know about her bloody poop. Of course though, chickens do hide their pain very well. She also laid an egg today and yesterday, so her egg routine has remained unchanged.

Does she free range? Any possibility that she ate something that colored her droppings? Berries can do it, other things can also.

Does she free range? Any possibility that she ate something that colored her droppings? Berries can do it, other things can also.
She does free range, but I can't think of anything in the yard that would make it red. My other hen doesn't have any issues with her stool, and there aren't any berries in the immediate area. It appears to be blood.

I would wonder what her droppings look like today, if they are still the same color or not. As said, many foods can affect color of droppings. A vet could test the droppings for blood or parasites if you bring some fresh ones in to them. Coccidiosis, worms, enteritis, cancer, internal bleeding from eating something sharp are some of the many things that might cause blood. Hopefully, it was something she ate.

An update, she laid an egg this morning and her behavior is also unchanged. I checked her droppings from last night, there appears to be some red, but not nearly as explosive or "wet" like before. I'm thinking she ate something weird, not sure what though. I won't free range her today and check her poop tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom