Bloody poop

Amandawells

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
I have 37 chicks almost 4 weeks old Cornish cross. I found bloody poop and am worried it is coccidiosis. Pics are attached. Can anyone confirm coccidiosis and if so what actions I should take. I quarantined three chicks that have bloody butts. Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

• 4C39EB86-AAE6-483A-AF9F-283283E6C75D.jpeg
    4C39EB86-AAE6-483A-AF9F-283283E6C75D.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 29EF4D81-DE86-4165-821F-3C493CD01E8C.jpeg
    29EF4D81-DE86-4165-821F-3C493CD01E8C.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DFA31983-FA14-4EA7-B10E-FECB81338F6F.jpeg
    DFA31983-FA14-4EA7-B10E-FECB81338F6F.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 6
I have 37 chicks almost 4 weeks old Cornish cross. I found bloody poop and am worried it is coccidiosis. Pics are attached. Can anyone confirm coccidiosis and if so what actions I should take. I quarantined three chicks that have bloody butts. Thanks for any advice!!
I would get some Corid and begin treatment.
Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water and Liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

You mention that you have chicks with bloody butts? Have you checked to make sure there's no injuries as well? Could be some feather picking going on.

I would get some Corid and begin treatment.
Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water and Liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

You mention that you have chicks with bloody butts? Have you checked to make sure there's no injuries as well? Could be some feather picking going on.
Okay thanks I will check. I actually saw one chicken poop the blood (last pic) So I checked all the rest and saw some blood on two others butt and backs of feet so I separated them up also until I can figure this out.

Okay thanks I will check. I actually saw one chicken poop the blood (last pic) So I checked all the rest and saw some blood on two others butt and backs of feet so I separated them up also until I can figure this out.

Not sure what this means?
I would still start the Corid right away.

The "X2" means that she's agreeing with me:)

I would still start the Corid right away.

The "X2" means that she's agreeing with me:)
The blood has cleared up a lot. I’m still seeing some tho after 5 days of Corid. Only one chick is visibly ill. Shivering and not walking as it should. Should I give a direct dose to that chick. If so how much. And since there are still signs of bloody poop can I continue the Corid for a longer period so the other chicks will not get any worse?

The blood has cleared up a lot. I’m still seeing some tho after 5 days of Corid. Only one chick is visibly ill. Shivering and not walking as it should. Should I give a direct dose to that chick. If so how much. And since there are still signs of bloody poop can I continue the Corid for a longer period so the other chicks will not get any worse?
Yes, I would continue the Corid for at least a few more days.

Direct dose of liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given orally for 3 days.

This is in addition to the bird drinking the mixed Corid water too. IF that sickest one is not drinking well, I suggest that you also syringe the mixed Corid water into her at least once an hour - as many drops as you can.

You aren't adding anything else to the water besides the Corid or giving extra vitamins are you?

For this to not be clearing up with 5 days of treatment is concerning. You may need a sulfa drug like sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP to get it cleared up.

Yes, I would continue the Corid for at least a few more days.

Direct dose of liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight given orally for 3 days.

This is in addition to the bird drinking the mixed Corid water too. IF that sickest one is not drinking well, I suggest that you also syringe the mixed Corid water into her at least once an hour - as many drops as you can.

You aren't adding anything else to the water besides the Corid or giving extra vitamins are you?

For this to not be clearing up with 5 days of treatment is concerning. You may need a sulfa drug like sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP to get it cleared up.
Thank you so much for responding. I will do as suggested. The only thing in their water is the Corid. I will check into the sulfa.

Back
Top Bottom