Bloody Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissChessy, May 28, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    One of my chickens is pooping some strange kind of I'm thinking bloody poop. It is almost the color of blackberries. Not sure what's up with that, as none of them are acting sick! I fed them chick starter until they were about 15 weeks old and now they are on layer feed. Would they contract cocci when they were on medicated feed? What do I do now?

2. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Bump

3. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    anybody???[​IMG]

4. rachipetal

rachipetal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Bristol, Uk
    Could be coccidiosis. I've read (done a lot of reading on the subject recently as we've second lot of new chickens arrive with it!), that when you stop medicated feed and change to layers, the birds can become infected with cocci. Most medicated feed only reduces the numbers of cocci, so that the birds have a chance to build immunity. It seems a really complicated subject! Chickens can seems really healthy, being active and eating well while struggling to overcome the infection. Best to get it checked out as coccidiosis can be very debilitating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by