bloody poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Oct 5, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Our new frizzle chick is pooping mostly blood. Any ideas what could cause this? She has been fine for weeks and this is new and nothing about her environment has changed in any way that I can think of. She eats a combination of medicated chick starter and regular chick feed. We change the water several times a day and clean her enclosure at least daily.
    Thanks.

2. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    It may just be shedding of the intestine liner pics would help a lot but if its
    Not that get Corid

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It her stools are blood all of the time, she should be looking very sick. Coccidiosis causes diarrhea, sometimes bloody, lethargy, poor appetite, looking puffed up with ruffled feathers. It is contagious and should be treated with Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp liquid or 1 tsp powder to 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. A second round can be given in a week or 2 at half strength. Vitamins and probiotics should be given between and after treatment. Corid is a cattle medicine in feedstores.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you. All our chickens are on Corid now and the sick one seems better.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by