1. lilmizscareall

lilmizscareall Chillin' With My Peeps

I received a few older chicks from a friend, about 3 weeks ago, and they are now around 7-8 weeks old. One of them seems to be having a issue, but no one is acting ill at all.
    When I first got them I thought it might be stress, because it seemed to go away. I moved them out to their grow out coop a couple of nights ago, this morning there was a BRIGHT red streak/splash of blood across the coop floor and a seperate bloody poop! Does this sound like coccidiosis? They have never been outside of a brooder and have always been on medicated feed. Should I go ahead and treat the whole flock? They've been socializing through a fenced area and have taken turns in the same yard. If I'm treating, for this do I need to toss my eggs too?

ETA:
    If I make a guess, it looks like only one might be infected, I'm going to try to figure out which one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    No idea! Will think though.

3. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Bloody poop is the most prominent sign of coccidiosis. I would definitely treat all your chicks.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can get Corid (amprollium) Liquid or Powder at your feed store today, it will be in the cattle section. Mix 2 tsp liquid or 1.5 tsp powder per gallon of water, and give it to all of them for 5 days. After the end of treatment give them vitamins and probiotics for a week. You should start this as soon as you can because they may stop wanting to drink water soon, and that is the only way they can get the medicine.

5. lilmizscareall

lilmizscareall Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok thanks! I think you are right, I'll start right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by