Bloody poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephEzz, Sep 28, 2014.

1. StephEzz

StephEzz New Egg

Sep 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Good morning! I found this bloody poop in my run this morning and need assistance figuring out the cause. I have 5 Buff Orpington hens and 2 ducks, all 6 months old and laying. No new foods or trauma of any sort.

Please help!

2. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    Looks like you have a bad case of coccocidiosis. It would be your chickens that have it. Its easily treated with Corrid, which can be found at your local farm store. Its a medicine that is dissolved in their drinking water, and the ducks should probably be separated during treatment.

3. StephEzz

StephEzz New Egg

Sep 28, 2014
    Thank you for the response! That's what i was afraid of... is it possible that the ducks may need treatment too?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's unlikely that the ducks have coccidiosis, but it won't hurt to treat them. Corid (amprolium) is safe for ducks!

Make fresh daily and it should be the only source of drinking water (no puddles, ponds, creeks, etc).

Corid Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.
    Corid Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.

Corid is usually found in the cattle section of feed stores. If they don't have Corid, ask if they have Amprol, Ampromed or anything else for treating coccidiosis in cattle. The active ingredient you want is amprolium. One could also try using a sulfa drug like Sulmet, SMZ/TMP or Dimethox.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. StephEzz

StephEzz New Egg

Sep 28, 2014
    Thank you so so much for this info Kathy!

6. StephEzz

StephEzz New Egg

Sep 28, 2014
    One more question, in your opinion, is it safe to eat their eggs while treating them? I've heard mixed opinions...

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The published info I saw says it's okay to eat the eggs.

8. HumbleHen207

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    I had no clue ducks could have Corrid, so many treatments for chickens are dangerous for the ducks that I tend to separate them when I need to treat. Useful information!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What treatments are dangerous for ducks?

-Kathy

10. HumbleHen207

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    They aren't supposed to eat the medication added to medicated feed, Amprol I think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by