Bloody poop!

They aren't supposed to eat the medication added to medicated feed, Amprol I think?

Amprol and Corid are both amprolium, and it's okay for ducks, as is medicated feed that has it. There is one type of medicated feed that *is* toxic to waterfowl, that's a turkey starter made by Blue Seal, the version with an HS in the label is toxic to waterfowl, ducks and dogs, it contains something to prevent blackhead (histomoniasis).

-Kathy

Didnt know that! The only thing sold around here is Blue Seal chick and turkey starter so I have avoided feeding medicated feed all together. Interesting, thank you for clarifying that!

We have been buying it for years, still has the big warning sign on the tag saying its poisonous to waterfowl. I dont think its terribly effective however, fed it to my turkeys and still lost them to blackhead...

Sorry for you losses.... It's a horrible disease and can be very hard to manage, but it is doable with the right medications and supplies. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know what works for me.

-Kathy

Okay! I am considering hatching some more poults next spring, but most likely not until March at the earliest. What is the easiest way to raise them with minimal loss?

Hi guys! I was hopeing someone could help me as well,one of my 2 year old hens has started producing strange droppings they look wet and all white with what looks like intestinal slodge in the center of the dropping? She also produces normal ones as well,she is active eat and drinks fine,her personality in normal I haven't noticed any change in her behaviour? My question is could she have coccidiosis? I have amprol on hand,what else could cause bloody droppings in birds other that coccidiosis? Or should she see a vet? Thankyou in advance

Hi guys! I was hopeing someone could help me as well,one of my 2 year old hens has started producing strange droppings they look wet and all white with what looks like intestinal slodge in the center of the dropping? She also produces normal ones as well,she is active eat and drinks fine,her personality in normal I haven't noticed any change in her behaviour? My question is could she have coccidiosis? I have amprol on hand,what else could cause bloody droppings in birds other that coccidiosis? Or should she see a vet? Thankyou in advance
Other things that can cause blood in the stool is enteritis or cecal worms. Capillaria worm is best treated with fenbendazole 1 ml for 5 straight days for a standard sized hen. Occasional intestinal shed is normal, but not blood. Enteritis is treated commonly with amoxicillin. Here is some info on enteritis:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Back
Top Bottom