Bloody poop!

StephEzz

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014

Good morning! I found this bloody poop in my run this morning and need assistance figuring out the cause. I have 5 Buff Orpington hens and 2 ducks, all 6 months old and laying. No new foods or trauma of any sort.

Please help!

Looks like you have a bad case of coccocidiosis. It would be your chickens that have it. Its easily treated with Corrid, which can be found at your local farm store. Its a medicine that is dissolved in their drinking water, and the ducks should probably be separated during treatment.

Thank you for the response! That's what i was afraid of... is it possible that the ducks may need treatment too?

Thank you for the response! That's what i was afraid of... is it possible that the ducks may need treatment too?
It's unlikely that the ducks have coccidiosis, but it won't hurt to treat them. Corid (amprolium) is safe for ducks!

Make fresh daily and it should be the only source of drinking water (no puddles, ponds, creeks, etc).

Corid Powder - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.
Corid Liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.

Corid is usually found in the cattle section of feed stores. If they don't have Corid, ask if they have Amprol, Ampromed or anything else for treating coccidiosis in cattle. The active ingredient you want is amprolium. One could also try using a sulfa drug like Sulmet, SMZ/TMP or Dimethox.

-Kathy

One more question, in your opinion, is it safe to eat their eggs while treating them? I've heard mixed opinions...

I had no clue ducks could have Corrid, so many treatments for chickens are dangerous for the ducks that I tend to separate them when I need to treat. Useful information!

Back
Top Bottom