bloody poops

sparkskaren

Hatching
Aug 9, 2020
i have just hatched my second batch of chicks one of them has pooped and it is bloody. he/she is only a few hours old so don’t think it has caught anything as yet any i ideas it is bright in itself eating and drinking

Do you have a picture of the poo?

Also, are these chicks hatching from your flock or did you buy them?

If they are only day olds when this happened, then its very possible he might sort of have some kind of pre-mature duckling thing going on.

I don't think its coccydiosis (however the heck you spell it), since how could he have gotten that when he's only a day old.

You will want to watch and monitor nutrients and water very carefully over the next few days. You will want to be watching this closely so you can adjust and change to match changing conditions quickly before it escalates.

Also you will want to do wet food for awhile. The reason is you want stuff that is easy on the digestive tract, since its very likely under more stress than normal. (Harder foods are harder on the body; an example of this is people know not to give dry food to sled dogs. Its the same principle.)

The good news is that ducklings seem to heal pretty fast. (But they can also reinjure themselves easy also while healing up.)

You could give it baby food, or blendered soft corn and peas mixed up. Or mash up those little vienna sausage cans (or mix that with the blendered stuff.) (There's a lot of options. But the point is you can try a lot of things to be more particular about the nutrients for its first week of life, including mixing in a bit of sugar into that the first two days.)

thank they are on chick crumbs. they are my own hatched eggs and we have no other animals at all to catch anything from. poo has gone darker as it has dried but was bright red.

Attachments

• FA78FC7D-4CC8-421A-9A6B-8C0FC288C2D9.jpeg
    FA78FC7D-4CC8-421A-9A6B-8C0FC288C2D9.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BD16C72D-793B-4A30-8EB5-EF00093708DE.jpeg
    BD16C72D-793B-4A30-8EB5-EF00093708DE.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 3
Hang in there.

Try to reduce stress on it as much as you can while working through this.

Back
Top Bottom